Wednesday, August 08, 2007

The Simpsons Movie

I knew I'd enjoy this movie before I even started watching. I've been watching The Simpsons since it began so many years ago (of course, I've had to miss the last two seasons due to living in China where The Simpsons don't exist). I figured this movie would be filled with cameos and cheap gags from minor characters--I was wrong.

The story of the movie revolves around the decaying environment of Springfield (yes, there are a few political moments throughout the movie). Of course, things go horribly wrong in town because of the impulsiveness and impatience of Homer. It's impressive to see that he has the ability to construct a "pig crap" silo in his backyard. There's also a secondary storyline about a friendly relationship between Ned Flanders and Bart. It seems Bart is wising up to Homer's poor parenting, even though he enjoys the cheap laughs it provides.

It was fun to watch The Simpsons for longer than a 30-minute episode--although this one clocks in as a fairly short movie under an hour and a half (I think). Still, it's filled with the wit and humor that one would expect from the TV show.

Things I missed in the movie: Only one bit of Itchy & Scratchy?? I guess we'll have to wait for that movie. And there were a lot of characters absent aside from one-liners--Principal Skinner, Groundskeeper Willy, Smithers, to name a few. Anyway, what do you expect after all these years?


1 comment:

genderist said...

We saw it last night... and thought it was lots of fun.