Monday, February 23, 2009

Return to Campus

Yesterday I headed back to campus to drop off some graded exams and do a little more administrative work before I leave. My boss was on the bus to the university in the morning and we chatted briefly, but mostly I stared out the window at the daily routine of the last year and half. A bit of it had changed over the five weeks since the last term ended--new construction and colors on the trees lining the streets. It was mostly stuff I rarely noticed at 8 in the morning.

I spent the morning talking with the office staff and giving them small gifts I brought back from Bali. They asked me about plans and when I was leaving China. For lunch I went out with the new teacher to the Lanzhou noodle restaurant--he was impressed that I could read the menu.

Later in the day, one of my co-workers came to talk to me as I was in the other teacher's office. She said that they wanted to take Jia and me out for dinner this weekend. Of course I accepted the invitation.

Having co-workers like this makes me feel bad about leaving--it's rare to have such a wonderful work environment. Now I'm still searching for jobs all over the US and hoping that I find something that can match my experience at the university.

No comments: