Saturday, January 27, 2007

I have a new visa thanks to the Hong Kong process. Unfortunately, it's not the one I wanted. I thought I had everything in order--I e-mailed and my girlfriend called numerous times to get a variety of answers that contradicted each other. Apparently I was missing one piece of paper (which I was told wasn't necessary if you have two prior visas) that comes from "an authorizing department." Of course, being China, they don't tell you what this mystical department is. So, I'm stuck with having to possibly hop back to HK mid-March for another of the same short-term visa.
Not all is sad though here. I have been in contact with many more employers (some of whom offer visas for employees). The only problem I see so far is that the best paying and best fit job for my abilities is also the most boring. It also doesn't allow me to go home for the summer. They better make a great offer of monetary compensation if they really want me there.
Alas, I need to stay here in Shenzhen for a while and I hope I can find something I'll enjoy. I really don't like life here much--there is only one reason I've stayed as long as I have. My girlfriend has always been more than helpful and caring. And her mom's cooking is the best food around.

No comments: