Monday, March 02, 2009

Things I'll Miss About Shenzhen (2)

The night after our fun out in Bao'an district, we headed out to Shekou to meet with my soon-to-be-former co-workers. Last week they planned to take Jia and me out for dinner and I suggested a Sichuan restaurant near Sea World, figuring everyone would find some food that'd suit their tastes. Unfortunately, we were short one co-worker as she had to stay home and care for sick family members--but she was there in spirit.

I've been to Fonsun once before and knew the food would be good. I think we ordered a third of the menu--some chicken, duck, tofu, fish, eel, vegetables, beef, and who-knows-what-else. Everything we ordered was good.

This was the first time that I was surrounded by colleagues and we were speaking mostly Chinese. Unfortunately, I'm slow in speaking, but my listening skills are pretty good. They're all very nice and usually talkative at the university, but I found them much more lively when speaking Chinese. They probably saw me as the opposite--I didn't speak much last night, but I'm usually talkative at the office.

My co-workers have made the past year and a half much more enjoyable and far easier to cope with. I hope I'll have the opportunity to see them again when Jia and I travel back to China.

No comments: