Friday, May 22, 2009

Colors on a Templed Street


After visiting so many temples in China and Thailand, it's difficult for me to be impressed. There are rare moments when something catches my eye and I'm enticed to take a picture.

We passed by numerous Buddhist temples while in Penang, Malaysia, but entered very few. Most of the temples were Chinese-Buddhist and very small, with little to attract non-Buddhist interest. Because we were in Penang during the Hungry Ghost Festival (supposedly a Chinese festival and Jia had never previous heard about), there were plenty of people entering temples and lighting incense.

This large incense caught my eye. I'm accustomed to seeing simple sticks (occassionally very large). This was also lit on the side of the street, outside the gate of the temple.

No comments: