Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Statistics

I was perusing Shenzhen Daily and came across a harsh reminder of the worst statistics of China--and it doesn't involve the environment. A sophomore at Shenzhen University committed suicide. Worse than just that single university student is the mention that two younger students committed suicide in Shenzhen in the past week--they were only 12 and 14 years old.

This subject has been discussed by colleagues and expats on forums for the last few years (that I've paid attention to). I've heard many stories of teachers who have taught students who committed suicide. I've been fortunate enough that all of my students were accounted for throughout the time I taught.

The statistics aren't good for China. According to the WHO the suicide rate in 2003 was 13 per 100,000 for men and 14.8 per 100,000 for women. This does not include Hong Kong, which also has a high suicide rate. Only Lithuania and Sri Lanka had a higher rate for women. An article on Asiaone from year ago claims that China has between 250,000 and 300,000 suicides per year.

I've heard a lot of talk about improving mental health services around the country, but I haven't seen any evidence. I hope stories like this force the government to put money into mental health services for everyone in China.

3 comments:

Monica said...

The amount of pressure students in China face from their parents and within the classrooms is incredibly strenuous. The pressure stems from parents who see education as the sole ladder to economic mobility, which is absolutely vital for many people since poverty is prevalent in many parts of China.

Kris said...

I am (or was) the foreign teacher for the 12 year old you mentioned. I did not find out about his death from my school or any of the other teachers; I found out from the other foreign teacher (who didn't teach him) because he happens to be good friends with the head of a dept.

The lack of reaction was shocking to me. No teachers said anything. The students went on loudly and happily, as if nothing had happened. No one seemed upset. It was as if the student hadn't even existed.

Mental health services do need to be improved given the high suicide rates. But in order for them to work, people here need to recognize a need for them. The lack of reaction I witnessed tells me that either the Chinese aren't ready or that saving face is more important.

gregory said...

just for kris, i think the reaction you expect is a western pov, one derived from a huge emphasis on individuality as something, what, sacred or important ...

in india, and maybe in china, suicide is just in the flow, and like all aspects of flow, nothing to get too upset about ...