Monday, October 03, 2005

Job Stuff

It appears I have a job. And it's one that pays. OK, so it doesn't pay well, but I'm alright with that. Starting in November I will be teaching English as a foreign language to 7-8 year olds in Shenzhen, China. Yes, I realize it's a communist country (really it's more like an oppressive capitalist country).
I figure the U.S. government is borrowing enough money and resources from China already, so why not cut out the middle-man and get paid directly from the source. Actually, that's not the reason why I'm doing this. I really think it would be a great experience to teach English in another country. And for some reason I enjoy Asian cultures and history.
The only problem I see is that I have to keep my commentary to myself. I enjoy criticizing governments (U.S. and others). I have a lot of problems with the Chinese government and it's recent history of oppression and human rights violations. But since I don't want to wind up in a Chinese prison, I'll have to learn to shut my mouth. Fortunately, I won't have much opportunity to voice my opinions in a class of children.
Let's just hope it all works out.

No comments: