Thursday, January 17, 2008

Going Postal

On my first day off I went to the post office to send some Chinese New Year cards to friends I won't get to see on my trip back to the states. A while back, Jia took me over to show me the sets of really nice cards that China Post is selling (with domestic postage included). They have a variety of Olympic cards--most of the Olympic cards have the Friendlies on them (I've been told that the Friendlies have been renamed "Fuwa" for some stupid reason).

I was impressed by the friendly service at this post office. I've had mixed experiences in the past. This time around, no one tried to speak English to me, but they were patient and understood my Chinese without me having to repeat myself. However, there was one snag that had nothing to do with communication. I walked outside to place my letter in the mailbox only to find that it was inaccessible due to the construction. Unfortunately, I don't know how to ask, "Where can I send this letter?" or "Where is another mailbox?" So, I walked home instead. Jia told me that there is another mailbox inside the post office, but it's hidden under the tables somewhere.

1 comment:

6000 said...

Good service in a post office?

Further evidence that the Chinese are going to take over the world.