Saturday, July 05, 2008

Freedom in Shenzhen

As my brother so graciously reminded me, I should've done something for July 4th. Oh wait, I did, I just didn't post it on the 4th.

Yesterday was the last day of classes for the year (great timing for independence). I also signed my new contract for a second year at the university--I should have a new visa in a week or two.

For the evening, J. had a party. There were only three Americans there to celebrate Independence Day...and none of us had any fireworks. However, we did have some good burgers, potato salad, pasta salad, and plenty of beer--it almost felt like home.

My plan was to splurge a little on good beer. I began the night with a bottle of Old Speckled Hen (British ale) to get a feeling of why our forefathers revolted. I have to say, I really like this beer. And at 10.5 kuai a bottle, it's a decent bargain. I followed that up with a bottle of Rogue American Amber Ale. I haven't had this in at least five years, and couldn't remember it that well. It was definitely better than its British predecessor. It was, however, 6 kuai more expensive. Nonetheless, that bottle of freedom tasted much better than the Tsingtao I drank the rest of the night.

2 comments:

CountLubinstein said...

I celebrated with good old fashioned mass produced American swill. Budweiser. mmm.

jhuber7672 said...

I'm a fan of the Speckled Hen. No fireworks? Aren't the best ones made in China?