Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Indy's Back!

I was excited months ago when I heard there would be a new Indiana Jones movie. I was hesitant about getting too enthusiastic, though. I've been disappointed with George Lucas' story-telling abilities in recent years. I also wasn't so sure an aging Harrison Ford could really pull off the performance. My hopes were high, but my expectations were not.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull certainly did not exceed my hopes for a good sequel. It was an entertaining movie, but it was not nearly as good as the previous three. The biggest problem is that Lucas incorporated too much from the previous movies without explaining it, thereby alienating anyone who is not familiar with them. The other problems stem from too much action, not enough story. And, of course, a cheesy, schmaltzy ending.

In this newest installment of the Indiana Jones series, Dr. Jones is no longer fighting the Nazis, who have been replaced with Cold War Russian Commies. From the opening scenes, it began to look more like an episode of The X-Files, with strange magnetic pieces of a lifeform in a warehouse at Area 51. From there, it looks like Indiana Jones and the Soviets are chasing Martians into the jungles of South America.

Ignoring the deficiencies of the plot, the acting from Harrison Ford, Cate Blanchett, Shia LeBeouf, and the rest of the cast was good. I shouldn't have doubted Ford's ability to still get into character.

I just hope that Steven Speilberg and George Lucas don't decide to make any more sequels. Lucas should really think about lifting his ideas from samurai movies again.

2 comments:

CountLubinstein said...

Funny you should bring up the x-files... there's a new movie for that coming out.

Shmaltzy... nice word!

jhuber7672 said...

I definitely agree not much of a story-line but I do love Harrison Ford!